Tuesday 21 May 2013

Masson Hill Fell Race

Route goes clockwise from the school, bottom right
Another local fell race I'd not tried and they don't get much more local than this - 20 mins drive to the start in Matlock Bath with Andy B giving me a lift. Ed and Sean Ollier also along from the club. New route this year which was slightly longer apparently.
I'd got a few races under my belt now this year so was confident that if Sunday's Cat n Fiddle ride was out of my legs, then I'd run ok.

Great route - straight up (really steep start), then out onto fields still climbing all the way to the trig, then down, up, down, down, down. Lovely running in light drizzle with views over to Birchover from the summit and beautiful running through the woods with Bluebells and wild garlic. 

I was 7th and I think Ed was 3rd out of about 70, so top 10%. I went off too fast up the steep start and not surprisingly was then clinging on for grim death all the way to the trigpoint! On a positive note though, I felt strong at the finish and made around 50metres up in the last half mile. Given another climb I'd have caught Ed (erm, maybe!). Really enjoyed the race - such a hard beautiful white peak route.

Results here.
3rd, 7th, 12th and 16th for Belper Harriers

No comments: