Thursday 10 July 2014

BDL Race 4, Carsington, 6:26/mile

Got soaked on the cycle home from work, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the sun come out almost as soon as I got home (!).  Hadn't run since Winster last Thursday, so I was keen to get as long warming up as possible - eventually running basically the whole course.

Good to see familiar faces on the start line including Trev, Krish and Sean Bott who'd not been around for a great deal of the year. Lloydy was also down so I'd have a pacer at least !

Pace was fast but this is always a harder fixture on the BDL league due to the continual climbs and descents all the way through the race. Out to half way and I wasn't making or losing places - generally feeling pretty relaxed and looking forward to the return leg.

Sadly, this is where the wheels fell off ! 2 people came straight past me and I could hear more behind. I tried to push harder, but the legs weren't having any of it. After a few more miles of struggling to find pace I started to gett pain from my left achilles but not enough to stop me having a sprint finish to keep Sean Martin at bay !

Very tired and achy and stiff hanging around at the finish line. 

With hindsight, I'd not taken enough fuel on board. I'd barely eaten during the day and had a few small nibbles when I'd got home  but not enough to get me through a) the warm up reccie let alone b) The Race !!

Note to Self : Watch what you eat during the day next time  (small portion of Quinoa and 2 apples don't cut it!)


17th out of 247, Top 6.9%
Strava link here
Full Results here
Full Ilkeston RC Database here

No comments: