Monday 1 February 2016

Tigger Tor Fell Race, 23/350

First race of the year and first fell race since The Roaches. Training's been going well recently and it's purely down to one thing - more protein in my daily diet. There's been a two fold benefit since I started upping protein levels ; 

1) Less niggles and aches - muscles are recovering quick from hard training and I get less aches from about 12+miles when previously I was getting niggles. Rest days are now comfortable with stretching being aimed at increasing mobility and not to remove pains.

2) Ability to train harder - less niggles = the ability to push harder. It's been my limiting factor over the last 2-5 years really - in fact since before my Bob Graham and it's refreshing to remember what hard training is like.

Needless to say - with this recent change in my training and diet before this race I was keen to see how this translated into a race.

The section from Oxstones over to Burbage North
I've run this race twice before - 2006 and 2010 (wow 10 years ago !) and have enjoyed it both times - it reminds me of a Winter Burbage Skyline.  So, I knew the route and where to push and how hard the various sections were. I distinctly remember one thing from both of my previous races - the final climb right near the end from Burbage North to Houndkirk Moor is the killer - uphill very slightly for several miles - all on very boggy, narrow heathery sheep trods. Lovely !!
9.8miles 1470ft
And that's how you get 1,470ft of climbing !
Thankfully - the race went as well as I'd hoped - set off fast but comfortable (I never like to red line it early season without a few hard races behind me) getting to Higgar with plenty in reserve. A decent middle section down to Toads Mouth up to Carl Wark and back down followed by a solid final pull over Houndkirk - again feeling comfortable with my pace at all points. Refreshingly, I felt no niggles and felt like the legs always had plenty in reserve and that pushing off at any point was simple. It's been too often over the last few years that every effort in a race is just hard. Thankfully, it looks like I've turned that corner.

Also - very refreshingly - I don't think I lost any places at any point in the race (apart from 2-3 actually places off Higgar). One guy came storming past me on the final run in, but I took another runner. 23rd place out of 350 starters (440 entered) so very very pleased with a top 6.5% finish which is probably my best performance in the field for many years. Always a good quality field too at Totley.

Loved it. Can't wait for the rest of the season now !
Smiles all round from the Harriers (minus Saul) Matt, Su, Ruth, Claire and Me!
Results here 23rd out of 350ish so 6.5% of the way down the field - a record I think for me!!!
Results 2010 here 21/307
Results 2006 download here

2 comments:

Su W said...

Is the protein just from the 2 eggs or are you using other sources? I think I am guilty of insufficient protein intake

Alan Billington said...

Yeah. Boil 6 up. 2 per day. Worked for me in around 2 weeks Su